School Safety

If you are volunteering in our classroom please make sure that you sign in with our security staff or with the office, and get a visitors sticker. Please make sure our classroom is your only destination.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Reading, Writing, Learning!

The children are really doing well learning the classroom routines. Each day they are learning to BE PROACTIVE- HABIT #1
This week and last week our focus has been on writing and using labels to describe our pictures.
Each day we are working on learning our letter sounds , so that when we read and write we can sound out words.
Please make letter sound practice part of your daily at home routine. 
Last week we learned the nursery rhymes Hickory Dickory Dock and this week The Isty, Bitsy Spider. These poems help us to learn how to one to one point, how to read fluently, and how to identify rhyme. Please ask your child to share these with you.

Image result for hickory dickory dockImage result for the itsy bitsy spider

This week we are continuing to learn the yellow song!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHGYLqvfygE

Today we read parts of MY MAP BOOK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCkkgTSAA5U
Image result for my map book

As a class the children helped to label things in our room. After we modeled labeling the children had the choice of drawing and labeling a map of their families or of their rooms.
Their work is displayed in our classroom. 
All of this week and some of next week we will continue to work on drawing and sounding out letters to label our pictures.

We are also reading and discussing the book:Image result for i love school book

Our big book we will be reading this week and next week is called CATS COLORS. Our focus will be making connections to the story and retelling the events of the story.
Image result for cats colors book

In math I have finished assessing the following I CAN STATEMENTS: Please ask your child to show you how well they can do each one. :)
K.1.2 The student will count orally the number of objects in a set containing 20 or fewer concrete objects.
·         I can count up to 10 objects.
·         I can explain that the total number of objects can be counted.
·         I can explain that the last number I say is the number of objects in a set.
·         I can explain that an empty set has nothing in it.
K.1.4 The student will select the numeral from a given set of numerals that corresponds to a set of 20 or fewer concrete objects.
·         I can build a set of objects for a given number.
·         I can identify numbers from 0 to 10.
·         I can explain that changing the way objects are organized does not change the amount.
K.1.6 The student will count forward from zero to 100.
·         I can count from 1 to 10 with manipulatives.
·         I can count from 1 to 10 without manipulatives.
K.1.8 The student will count backward from ten to zero.
·         I can count backward from 10 to 0.


Here are the new I CAN STATEMENTS FOR MATH that we started working on today:
K.4.1 The student will identify and describe plane and solid geometric figures.
·         I can identify a shape as two-dimensional.
·         I can identify a shape as three-dimensional.
·         I can identify a circle.
·         I can identify a triangle.
·         I can identify a square.
·         I can identify a rectangle.
·         I can describe figures by the number of sides and the number of angles.
·         I can describe a circle using terms such as round and curved.
·         I can trace a circle.
·         I can trace a triangle.
·         I can trace a square.
·         I can trace a rectangle.
K.4.2 The student will compare the size and shape of plane geometric figures.
·         I can compare and group circles by their sizes using the words larger and smaller.
·         I can compare and group triangles by their sizes using the words larger and smaller.
·         I can compare and group squares by their sizes using the words larger and smaller.
·         I can compare and group rectangles by their sizes using the words larger and smaller.
·         I can compare and group circles, triangles, squares, and rectangles by their shapes.
·         I can give examples and non-examples of a circle.
·         I can give examples and non-examples of a triangle.
·         I can give examples and non-examples of a square.
·         I can give examples and non-examples of a rectangle.
K.4.3 The student will sort and classify objects according to attributes.
·         I can sort objects into groups based on at least one attribute.
·         I can classify objects into groups based on at least one attribute.
·         I can name the attribute that the object was sorted by.
·         I can name many ways to sort a set of objects.
K.4.4 The student will identify pictorial representations of a circle, triangle, square, and rectangle, regardless of their position and orientation in space.
·         I can identify pictures of a circle in different positions and locations.
·         I can identify pictures of a triangle in different positions and locations.
·         I can identify pictures of a square in different positions and locations.
·         I can identify pictures of a rectangle in different positions and locations.
K.4.5 The student will describe the location of one object relative to another using the terms above, below, and next to.
·         I can use the words above, below, next to, beside, in front of, and behind describe the location of an object.
K.6.1 The student will identify, describe, and extend repeating patterns.
·         I can observe, identify and describe the core found in repeating patterns of common objects.
·         I can observe, identify and describe the core found in repeating patterns of sounds.
·         I can observe, identify and describe the core found in repeating patterns of movements.
·         I can extend a repeating pattern by adding at least two repetitions.
·         I can identify the core in a repeating pattern.
·         I can create a repeating pattern.
·         I can compare similarities and differences between patterns.



As always, follow us here, in SEESAW, and on TWITTER!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is an informational and educational blog. Please use appropriate and respectful language when posting on this blog.