School Safety

If you are volunteering in our classroom please make sure that you sign in with our security staff or with the office, and get a visitors sticker. Please make sure our classroom is your only destination.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Parents Help

Wow!  I had some of the most amazing conferences today.  Thank you to all of the parents who came to meet with me.  I look forward to meeting with more of you over the next few weeks.
Today many parents shared great ideas and "tips" that they use when working with their children at home.  I thought it would be great to share some of those ideas with everyone.  :)
Practicing sight words: Place all of the sight word cards in a bag.  Have your child draw a card form the bag.  When reading a story tally on the back of the card the number of times your child recognizes that word while reading onto the back of the card.  This way you can keep a "running record" if you will of the number of times your child practices each word.

Time, time, time...many parents shared how they set a timer when their child is working.  Start off by saying, "I am going to set the timer for 10min.  at the end of 10min. I expect you to have _________done. If you finish your work you may....."(some sort of reward it earned).

My child doesn't follow directions. I have to say things over and over again.
Helpful tip...Give a direction, say why do you think I am asking you to go and put on your coat and shoes?  Wait for a response and  say, tell me what I just asked you to do... (Hopefully you receive the response you were looking for.) Now, please go and do it.

Please feel free to comment on our blog and share what is working in your home.  :)  You can also E-mail me as well.  :)

We are only as strong as one another. :)

1 comment:

  1. We wanted to say thanks for all the hard work with the kids. we hav noticed how much more independent Sophie has become in just 2 months of Kindergarten!
    Deepak Talreja and Hyeon Choi

    ReplyDelete

This is an informational and educational blog. Please use appropriate and respectful language when posting on this blog.